Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Kids will be kids... Or will they?

I've been thinking a lot about how my childhood differs from the one my children have. It seems like we're always rushed. There's seemingly always somewhere to be or something to do. With rare occasions (read: soccer offseason) even Saturdays are packed. The saddest part is that  even when the schedule on Saturday isn't hectic, they spend their time trying to think of something to "do." I know I was a huge culprit as a kid of complaining about being bored, but Saturdays weren't that way for me as a kid. I woke up every weekend absolutely stoked for my cartoons. It started with Thundercats, then I moved on to watching GI Joe and Ninja Turtles. Later, Animaniacs would become a favorite. However, the best times were watching Spider-Man and especially X-Men. I would watch it every. single. time. Even if it was a rerun.



I still love that intro music...


 Kids don't have things like that anymore, or rather, they have so many of them that none of them attain such a level of devotion. There are 27 different Nick channels, 86 Disney's and they all have 241-598 shows. By the time they get into one, there are 7,226 more to take its place.* Maybe that's not sad, but it seems like it to me. I feel like they are living in a world where nothing is cherished or highly valued. All entertainment is basically just a disposable commodity to them.

Does that bother anyone else, or am I just mad that there aren't any great comic book cartoons anymore?


*rough estimates

No comments:

Post a Comment